Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sci-Fi Dine In

It has a been a wonderful week for food. I know I mentioned earlier that my DCP goal was to eat at as many restaurants as I can. I hit three of them this week! :) Yay for foodie friends! This post is dedicated to an awesome restaurant called the Sci-Fi Dine In. This restaurant brings out nostalgia for the 1950's and the days of drive-in theaters.


We didn't have reservations, so I walked up to the counter at about 12:30 and begged the CM to see if she had anything available for tonight. Luckily, she had one reservation for 7:50. That worked perfect for us, so I went ahead and booked it. 


Tip: If you want to hit the second Fantasmic! showing, try to aim for your dinner reservations around 8pm, no later than 8:30. Our dinner took a little over an hour, leaving us time for a leisurely stroll to Fantasmic!, time to hit Tower of Terror, and easily make it to the show. That way, you can enjoy your dinner without having to rush and leave time for a nice walk afterward.

Yay for dinner! 

We arrived about 10 minutes before our reservation and got checked in. I really wanted to sit in a car. The CM said they were running behind, but she had a picnic table in the back open right away. I decided to wait for a car, so we weren't seated until about 20 minutes later. At this point, it had been a half-hour since I checked in.


The atmosphere in this restaurant is awesome! The night sky twinkles above you as you relax in your vehicle. The restaurent is dark, but your car has plenty of light for eating, just not enough for really good pictures. Ahead of you, the screen plays B-rated horror films from the 1950's. For college students, it was quite humerous, however, if your little one is scared easily, you might want to take caution. There were several scenes with a giant spider and other potentially creepy things.

Sitting in the second row of our car. 

Our car from the front. Seriously, this restaurant is so fun! 



Our server was an awesome CM named Christian. He was upbeat and seemed to enjoy his job. I know this isn't 50's Prime Time, but he had fun giving us a hard time about our food, and we were able to joke right back. But now, our first order of business: appetizers! 

Cookies and Cream! 
I knew I needed a milkshake. I had been at Hollywood Studios for 11 hours at this point, and a milkshake was just necessary. It was a wonderful life decision. The shake was thick and creamy, just as you would imagine your ideal milkshake would be. The whipped cream was cool and the cherry plump. The perfect beginning to my Sci-Fi experience.  I chose not to get any appetizers but my dining companions opted to try the fried pickles and graciously shared one with me.


The pickles themselves weren't amazing, but when paired with the spicy ranch, they were delicious. However, I am not sure I would get this appetizer again. There are other options on the list that look better, such as the onion rings. But I was glad I tried them. 


Next up was our entrees. Sorry for the horrendeous picture, I thought I had taken a better one, but it turns out I lost it. I will see if any of my friends have better pictures, but for now, here you go! I got the All American Picnic Burger, aka heart attack on a plate. This burger is an Angus beef patty, a hot dog, slice of American cheese(that costs $1 extra), sauerkraut  and onions. But wow! I don't really like hotdogs, so I don't know why I went for this burger, but I thought, "Hey, it's Disney, I am going to try something new." And it paid off! Now, mind you, this isn't going to compare to a five-star steak, but I felt that, for the location, it was a great burger. The sauerkraut and onions complemented the meat perfectly. A basket of fries comes with it, and I was completely stuffed. I couldn't even finish my burger. 

I told you. It's terrible. I am going to do a better job at my food pictures next time! The burger itself was great, though. 

Our car. 
The creepy witch girls with glowing eyes. Just kidding, it's only us and the terrible Sci-Fi lighting. But hey, that is what makes the atmosphere!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed our time at Sci-Fi. I would heartily recommend it for anyone looking to enjoy an unforgettable dining experience. The burger was great after a long day making movies in Hollywood Studios and totally worth the wait. If you can snag a reservation here, we enjoyed it. If not, then stop by the podium the morning of your trip and see what is available. You never know!










No comments:

Post a Comment