Monday, September 16, 2013

Magical Mondays: My Own Disney Character

I love working for Disney. I never want to work anywhere else ever again. There are a few things that can be changed, obviously, but as a whole, I get to work for a Mouse and my office is a theme park. Oh, and the fact that on my days off, I can visit the most magical kingdom in the world. But one of the coolest things about my job is that I can become my own character, create my own world of magic for the guests. 
In Disney retail, there is this really cool job called door greeting. For avid performers like me, this is about as close as you can get without really being on stage. Door greeting is just like it sounds. Stand at the door and greet everyone who comes through. I love to take this position to the furthest it can go by dressing up completely in character and using themed language to chat with the guests. Really, what could be better? 

Merchantaining! Best job on the Disney retail planet. 
My favorite is to be twins with the best cowgirl there is in the toy box, Jessie. After donning my red hat and saddling up a Bullseye pillow pet, it is off to the Breezeway door to greet people in style. My hours calling "Howdy!" and dancing the how-down usually end with a few pictures. But one of the coolest parts is when the little kids walk up to me, I get down on their level, and we have some incredible conversations about anything you could think of. And every once in a while, I get to sign autograph books, just as myself, as my own character. It amazes me that my autograph, my humble name, is amongst those such as Mickey Mouse and the Disney Princesses. That what I do has enough impact on a guest's vacation that they want to remember those moments forever. 

Sometimes, I get to door greet with these awesome people, our Toy Story crew. Other times, I am on my own. 
Whenever those families walk away clutching their autograph books all the hardships of the day seem to melt away. I can't believe that I could be someone they wanted to remember, that I could be in the same league as Mickey Mouse. All I am is me. No one special, definitely not on the same level as royalty or the mouse that started it all. But, I, like every other Cast Member, have the ability to change a guest's life. To my fellow Cast Members, I implore you to never forget this. Walk on stage with a smile on your face, because believe me, there is no moment more special than knowing that a child will always remember you because you took the time to get down on one knee and treat them like the unique princess or space ranger they are. 

My cowgirl autograph. 
It is those things that keep me going sometimes. But, honestly, what more do I need? This is why I work for Disney. Because something as simple as my daily assignment can change a life. And what better job is there than sprinkling pixie dust? Thanks, Mickey, for giving me the opportunity to work alongside you in spreading a little magic. I promise you won't regret it. And neither will I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment